Sunday, September 7, 2008

Makela Fence woodworking!

If everything goes to plan, this winter I'm going to set up to build garden structure products in the shop. I want to start out slowly by designing a few items and building those that would be cost-effective to ship across the country.

Back in the early '90s I partnered with my brother to set up a custom cabinet and furniture shop. That was before the Internet, so we didn't have that resource as a way to market and advertise our products. We also were set up in an area where there wasn't a high demand for custom cabinet work and furniture building.

Today tho, the market and advertising options are much different. We want to build some basic mailbox posts and display them on my website. We also have a lot of material that I saved to make cedar flower boxes for people for Memorial Day. Cedar arbors are another an item that I know are in high demand. At the present time, we buy them from a wholesaler if we're installing a fence where the customer wants a standard type arbor.

Our main objective is to offer quality custom work, but we feel there is a need for products that can compete in today's market to meet peoples' needs and budget.

My plan is to start out with outdoor-related products and if the demand is there to offer other products, we will do so.

No comments:


Custom built pool house

Home in Woodstock, Conn.